SBC Council Tax Refund Telephone Fraud
We have received a report of a Peebles resident receiving bogus calls yesterday from a man claiming to be from Scottish Borders Council saying that she was due a Council Tax refund. The man asked for bank card details and the resident subsequently discovered money had been taken from her account.
Scottish Borders Council will never call people to either refund or demand payment of Council Tax. Please be very wary of unsolicited phone calls and NEVER give personal details including bank or credit card details.
Terminate the call and contact the organisation using the number you would normally contact them on NOT the number given by the caller.
What else can I do that will help protect me from Bogus Phone Callers?
• Consider making your phone number ex-directory.
• Register with the Telephone Preference Service
• Consider installing call-screening / blocking device
• Don’t give out any personal information unless you are the one who made the call and you are certain of the identity of the person you are speaking to.
• Don’t give out your credit card or bank card details to strangers on the telephone.
• NEVER tell somebody your bank PIN number, even if they claim to be the bank or police. If the caller is genuine they will never ask for this information.
• Don’t give out information which may infer that you live alone, are older or vulnerable.
• Never send money to anyone who claims to have a prize for you.
• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
For more information on Identity Theft, Fraud and Scams please visit the Police Scotland Website
Back to: Our Community - Be Safe, Be Secure.
|Home | Calendar | News | Guestbook | Sponsors | Contact|