Bike Thefts Scottish Borders
On the evening of 16/12/2015 there were several high value mountain bikes and off road motorcycles stolen from the Innerleithen area. In the same evening there were tools stolen from vans in the area.
The individuals appear very well organised and are able to overcome the security that owners have put in place. These individuals appear to be very successful always-securing high value bikes. These thieves appear to be targeting the Peebles and the surrounding area but similar reports have been received in Denholm, Stow and Galashiels so we would ask that communities across the Scottish Borders remain vigilant.
These thieves appear able to easily overcome hasps and padlocks so here are some alternative tips on how to keep your property secure
• If you have a house alarm consider whether this could be extended to cover your outbuilding/garage/shed
• Consider a shed alarm
• Consider if possible storing your bicycle within your home address
• Consider access to your shed/garage/outbuilding, and lighting in and around your house, for more information on recommendation on fencing/gates etc visit http://www.scotland.police.uk/keep-safe/home-and-personal-property/secure-your-garden-and-outbuildings
• Consider who knows that you have this high value property have you advertised it on social media, gumtree etc
• Carry out a quick google search on yourself its always interesting to see how much someone else could find out about you and your property. It is not hard for criminals to link photos of high value property to postcodes and addresses.
Enquiries are currently ongoing into these crimes, could anyone with further information please contact the police on 101.
Message sent by
Kirsty Neish (Police Scotland, Constable, Scottish Borders
Back to: Our Community - Be Safe, Be Secure.
|Home | Calendar | News | Guestbook | Sponsors | Contact|