Maxton & Mertoun Community Council
Minutes of 2014 Annual General Meeting
Held on 5th June 2014 at Maxton Village Hall
Present: Andrew Leitch, Penny Harvey, Isobel Veitch, and Malcolm Hosie
Apologies: Councillor Rory Stewart, Trudy Leitch, CC Stevie Deacon
Members of Public: One
1. Chairpersons Welcome:
The Chairperson thanked those present for attending.
2. Minutes of the AGM 2013:
Minutes of Maxton & Mertoun Community Council for May 23rd 2013 were read, it was agreed there were no outstanding issues to be dealt with in the minute.
3. Approval of 2012-13 AGM Minute:
Proposed as a true record of the meeting CC Penny Harvey
Seconded CC Andrew Leitch
4. Chairpersons Report for 2013 -2014:
Maxton and Mertoun Community Council Chairmans Report for April 2013 - March 2014.
It is probably best to describe the last 12 months as a period of highs and lows. Our year began on a tragic note with the untimely death of Ann Collie, our long standing and greatly respected Secretary, an event that really touched the whole village. She is greatly missed. Isobel, already Treasurer, kindly stepped in and has risen to the challenge admirably and I just want to thank her for doing so.
As to some of the high points, after campaigning since we reformed the Community Council, we finally achieved a reduction in the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph, something we should be immensely proud of and which would not have happened had we not been so persistent, well done one and all!
Another high was the addition of a new member of the Community Council, Malcolm Hosie. Malcolm had been attending meetings for some time so we are really glad to have him fully on board and he's proving to be a great addition to the group. Malcolm has been instrumental in sourcing and implementing the new 'barked' area for two table/benches in the play park so thank you Malcolm.
Elsewhere in the play park the two new planters have been made and delivered, and Stuart Young, Neighbourhood Assistant Area Manager, and his group have also put down a slabbed area as a base for them as a hard stand.
We also extend our ongoing thanks to Mr Ken Linton of Meadowbank who has kindly volunteered to take on some projects in the village, namely tidying the planted area between the phone box and George's shed and just over the last couple of weeks he has cleaned and treated the four planters at the west end of the village and will replant them in due course. Everyone on the Community Council is very grateful for the work he is doing.
There is of course still other work to be done, the new goal post is still to be installed and seems to have taken a particularly long time. The other longstanding issue is the continuing breakup of the road at the western end of the village where the lack of a kerb sees the ruts getting deeper and the tarred edge further crumbling, so we will continue to push for kerbstones to be laid down. The best SBC has managed so far is to backfill with soil, a complete waste of time. There are also ongoing issues with the grass mowing regime, particularly in the Play Park.
To sum up, sadness, progress and more to do, thanks to everyone on the Community Council for playing their part in our small but effective group.
Andrew Y. Leitch, 5.06.14.
5. Treasurers Report:
The Treasurer presented to accounts for 1st April 2011 to 31st March 2012
Balance C/F: £1,684.35
Income: SBC Reimbursement of rent £ 150.00
SBC Annual Grant 2011 £ 630.00
Bank Interest £ 0.82
TOTAL: £ 780,82
Expenditure: Stationery £ 62.81
Hall Rental £ 150.00
TOTAL £ 212.81
Balance as at 31st March 2012 in credit £2,252.36
Accrual for planned projects 2012-2013
Estimated cost of wooden bench for playpark £ 200.00
Estimated cost of replacement football post and net £ 625.00
Village enhancement scheme
Estimated cost of Daffodil bulbs and plants for Main street £ 300.00
Estimated cost of compost for two new planters in playpark £ 200.00
Estimated cost of plants for two planters in playpark £ 200.00
Old Railway Project drainage and path clearance £ 500.00
Total available funds £ 227.36
The Chairperson thanked the Treasurer for all her work over the past year and offered the CCs thanks to Pauline Spengler for once again verifying the accounts for 2013-14, both have carried out their tasks in a very professional manner.
6. Code of Conduct for Community Councillors, the Chairperson highlighted the need for all Community Councillors in the Scottish Borders to commit them to this code and agree to abide by it in its entirety. All those present made this commitment openly and without prejudice. The Chairperson thanked them for their commitment.
7. Appointment of appropriately qualified person to scrutinise and approve the CC Accounts for April 2012 to end of March 2013:
Pauline Spengler has agreed once again to undertake this task on behalf of Maxton & Mertoun Community Council. Isobel asked to thank her for her offer on behalf of CC members.
8. Office Bearers; Andrew will continue in post as Chairperson, Isobel will continue as Treasurer but she would like assistance with covering the Secretary post. Malcolm said he was prepared to have a go but until he knew exactly what was involved and what portion of his time would be taken up by the role of Secretary he was hesitant to fully commit. His offer was gratefully accepted and Isobel suggested she complete the minutes from the next meeting and he could take on the August minutes after the July break when there is no meeting. Isobel happy to provide any assistance required and Penny said she would assist where possible.
The formal part of the AGM finished at this point:
Verified as a correct account of the AGM 2013-2014
Date ../ ../ 2014
Back to: Community Council Noticeboard
|Home | Calendar | News | Guestbook | Sponsors | Contact|